About This Policy
For more details about cookies and how you may control them, please see our Cookie Notice.
Who We Are
We collect and process information about you that you provide through your use of the UKTV Digital Services.
Our legal status under applicable data protection law is that of a "data controller" (meaning that we decide the purposes for which and the ways in which your personal information is collected and used) and in this capacity we will securely store and process your personal information.
Please be aware that some of the services provided on the UKTV Digital Services (e.g. UKTV Play) are only accessible to registered users via a password. It is your responsibility to keep your password secure at all times.
The Information We Collect
The better we know you the better we can make UKTV's digital products and services work for you and give you a more personalised experience.
Information provided by you
We may collect the personal information stated below, when, for example, you register for an account (such as UKTV Play) on our UKTV Digital Services; subscribe to one of our newsletters or other digital services; enter a competition; vote or post comments or other material on our UKTV Digital Services; complete the "Contact Us" form; or respond to any other specific requests we make on our UKTV Digital Services:
(ii) user name;
(iv) date of birth;
(vii) email address; and
(viii) any queries, comments or material that you submit via our UKTV Digital Services.
If you register for a service using your Facebook account, we will receive certain personal data from Facebook such as your name and email address. We may receive other details depending on your Facebook privacy settings.
Information about your use of our UKTV Digital Services
During your visit to, or use of, our UKTV Digital Services, we will also collect information about:
- Your visit (e.g. time, date, duration, pages viewed);
- The resources that you access or online services that you use; and
- How you access our UKTV Digital Services (e.g. IP address, operating system, browser type).
If you use our video on-demand services such as UKTV Play, we also collect information about:
- The programmes that you watch;
- The adverts which are displayed to you and any interaction with those adverts (e.g. clicking to view further information); and
- The time, date and duration of your viewing session.
We also receive lifestyle and demographic insight information about you from our trusted advertising partners which we use to provide you with tailored advertising (see the How We Use Your Personal Information section below for more information about this).
How We Use Your Personal Information
We will use your personal information:
(i) Where it's necessary to fulfil a contract with you: in particular, in providing and delivering the UKTV Digital Services (including, enabling participation in interactive features such as competitions and votes).;
(ii) When it's in our legitimate interests to do so and when these interests are not overridden by your data protection rights: in particular:
- facilitating the creation of, and securing users', accounts on UKTV's network;
- communicating with you;
- monitoring and improving our UKTV Digital Services and for statistics and analytics purposes, including analysing the performance of our marketing campaigns;
- resolving disputes and/or troubleshooting problems;
- for system administration purposes (please note that the information used for these purposes is limited to statistical data about your browsing actions and patterns); and
- to help us personalise the services and communications you receive (including tailored advertising), which means that, in turn, we are able to maximise the revenue that we generate from advertising to help us to cover the costs of the free services which we provide to you. Personalisation is automated and may be based on various factors such as your age, postcode or gender, your device details or your inferred interests (which may come from the programmes you watch, preferred channels or time of viewing or other information which we learn about you from other sources). We will enable our advertising partners to display more tailored advertising to you. By interacting with, or viewing, an advert, you should be aware that that third party may make the assumption that you meet the targeting criteria used to display the advert.
(iii) Consent: We will ask you for your consent to collect or process your personal information on certain occasions, in particular:
- In order to send you information about the latest UKTV news, and / or the digital products and services offered by UKTV. We may contact you by various methods (including by post, email, telephone or SMS) where you have indicated that you wish to receive marketing via such channels. We will make the method(s) of communication clear at the point at which we ask for your consent. You are able to manage the way we contact you by editing the 'Manage my Preferences' section under your profile on UKTV Play, and can also opt out of receiving marketing emails from us by clicking on the unsubscribe link included in those emails. In addition to or in combination with the details which you have provided (such as your gender, postcode or date of birth), we may use other information about your use of our UKTV Digital Services (such as programmes watched, preferred channels, time of viewing) to identify products and services which are more likely to be of interest to you; and
Please note that whenever we ask for your consent in order to process your personal data, you may withdraw this consent at any time by contacting us using the contact details provided below; and
(iv) Where we're required to do so by law: For example, if we receive a request from law enforcement or other government officials.
You control the data we hold on you:
When you register you will be given the opportunity to indicate whether or not you are happy for us to use your personal information in order to tell you about our offers, products or services. You can control the way in which we contact you by editing your marketing preferences information in the 'Manage my Preferences' section of your UKTV Play Profile.
If you would like us to stop using your personal information for targeted advertising purposes, you can send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that if you opt out of profiling and targeted advertising, this does not mean that you will receive less advertising when you use our UKTV Digital Services. This just means that the advertising you see may not be as relevant to you.
Where We Store Your Personal Information
Your personal information will only be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area if adequate safeguards are in place to protect your data. For example, we use processors in the USA who comply with the EU-US Privacy Shield, and other processors pursuant to European Commission approved standard contractual clauses.
How We Keep Your Personal Information Secure
We take privacy issues very seriously and we understand that keeping your personal information secure is very important to you.
When handling personal information, security is paramount and we use all reasonable measures to safeguard your information and to ensure it is adequately protected.
Our system is hosted by service providers whom we consider to have good reputations for security, but please note that we cannot guarantee that any personal information transmitted over the internet is completely secure.
Disclosure of Your Personal Information
We will disclose your data to our suppliers to the extent that they need access to your data in order to provide us with their services. We will only use suppliers who provide sufficient guarantees as to the processing of your data, including in relation to keeping it secure.
You should be aware that if we are requested by the police or any regulatory or government authority investigating suspected illegal activities to provide to them your personal information and/or information concerning your activities whilst visiting the site, we shall be entitled to do so.
We are also entitled to disclose your personal information to third parties if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal information in order to enforce or apply our Terms and Conditions and other agreements; or if we reasonably consider this necessary; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of us, our customers, or others.
If our business is sold or integrated with another business, your personal information will be disclosed to our advisers and any prospective purchaser's adviser and will be passed to the new owners of the business.
We will disclose your personal information to our trusted advertising partners for the purpose of assisting us in delivering tailored advertising, as more fully described above. This will include disclosure to Channel 4 who serve targeted advertising on our behalf, including to users of UKTV Play.
You have various rights with respect to our use of your personal information:
- Access: You have the right to request a copy of the personal information that we hold about you. Please note that there are exceptions to this right, so that access may be denied if, for example, making the information available to you would reveal personal information about another person, or would reveal trade secrets, or if we are legally prevented from disclosing such information. If we have deleted or anonymised your data then we won't be able to provide you with a copy of that data. If you wish to exercise this right, please contact us using the contact details provided below.
- Accuracy: We aim to keep your information accurate, current, and complete. We encourage you to contact us using the contact details provided below to let us know if any of your personal information is not accurate or changes, so that we can keep your personal information up-to-date. You can also review and correct/update some of your personal information by logging-in to your account and going to your Profile, if you have registered on one of the UKTV Digital Services.
- Objecting: In certain circumstances you also have the right to object to processing of your personal information:
(i) which is based on our legitimate interests;
(ii) for direct marketing purposes; and
(iii) for profiling to the extent that it is related to direct marketing.
If you would like to object to (i), please contact us using the contact details provided below. Please see the How We Use Your Personal Information section above for information on how to object to (ii) and (iii).
- Erasing and Restricting: You have the right to ask us to erase or restrict your personal information. If you would like us to stop using your personal information, please contact us using the contact details provided below. Please note that there are exceptions to these rights, if, for example, we are under a legal obligation to continue to process your personal information.
- Porting: You have the right to request that your personal information is ported to you.
- Complaints: If you believe that your data protection rights may have been breached, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority in the country of your habitual residence, place of work or of the potential breach, or to seek a remedy through the courts. The supervisory authority in the UK is the Information Commissioner's Office, whose website at ico.org.uk provides information on how you can lodge a complaint.
When we ask you to supply us with information we will make it clear whether the information we are asking for must be supplied so that we can provide the products and services to you, or whether the supply of any information we ask for is optional. For example, registration is mandatory to use UKTV Play on most platforms, and certain minimum details must be submitted in order to enter our competitions.
How Long We Keep Your Personal Information For
We will retain your personal information, whether or not your account is active, for as long as we reasonably believe it necessary to fulfil our business purposes or to comply with applicable law, audit requirements, regulatory requests or orders from competent courts. We will then delete or anonymise it. For example, we will normally delete or anonymise your UKTV Play account after 3 years of inactivity, but we will email you to warn you first.
The UKTV Digital Services may contain links to other websites over which we have no control. We are not responsible for privacy policies or practices of other websites to which you choose to link from our UKTV Digital Services. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of those other web sites so you can understand how they collect, use and share your personal information.
You may contact us as follows:
- Email: email@example.com
- Post: UKTV, PO BOX 6996, Cardiff, CF15 5DS
- Phone: 020 3192 0504
UKTV Media Limited (registered with number 04266373) with registered address at: 10 Hammersmith Grove, London, W6 7AP
Last updated: 18 May 2018